Saturday, October 20, 2012

Love the State Park

Today was a wonderful day!  Hubs, sil and I went to a car show today, not just a hot rod type car show, but a car show full of VW vehicles.  Very neat, very appropriate for the area I live in.  It's a little hippie college town and I LOVE it!

After we all went out to the state park for a workout.  Hubs and sil took the bikes and I chose to walk/jog.  Five miles on the trails and I felt FANTASTIC!  It was so refreshing to be out in nature, mostly alone with my iPod and my thoughts.  I did make some deer friends along the way.


 
And they view along the way was gorgeous
 
It is good to take note that state parks aren't generally flat
 
 
This is the view from the top of one of the giant hills I had to climb
 
I'm very glad that I got out today.  On a typical Saturday afternoon I'd have just taken a nap.  I'm figuring out that inspiration isn't really a problem for me.  I'm inspired by lots of things.  I'm lazy.  The only cure for that, GET UP AND DO SOMETHING!  It really is that simple.
 
I have decided that I want to do a sub40 5K in the spring.  I haven't picked a specific race yet, I would love to do one with hills or trails or something.  I realize that sub40 doesn't sound like a very fast time to seasoned runners, but in 2011 I did two timed 5Ks and neither were less than 45 minutes.  That's slow.  I'm still not fast and I may never be fast, but I'm learning that with running, slow and steady really is the way to go.  Slow and steady helps you to build endurance and avoid injury.  I have to remind myself of this often because I want to hit the fast forward button and just be an ultra runner.  It doesn't work like that.
 
I hope to continue to visit the state park on the weekends, but that isn't really the hard part.  The hard part for me is coming home after working all day and cooking dinner for my family, getting everyone bathed and in bed at a reasonable time and somehow squeeze in some kind of workout.  I know I won't get to go for a run every night but I have a TON of workouts pinned that claim to not take very long to complete.  Wish me luck!


1 comment:

Tell me what you think: