Monday, November 5, 2012

It's the shoes!

Wore my super fantastic new stripper shoes today and my calves hurt more on my evening run!  You have no idea how sad this makes me.  I don't know what sensible business casual shoes look like, but I imagine little old lady shoes.  Please, if I'm wrong, post a link to some cute ones in the comments.  I know wearing high heels most days a week isn't really good for my feet and legs, I knew that before today.  It just makes me sad.  I guess I'll keep the heels for days when I don't plan to run and probably hold off on wearing them regularly until after I finish C25K.

I started week 2 today.  This is probably the furthest I've ever made it in this program.  Week two consists of 3 days with 90 second jog/2 minute walk alternating for a total of twenty minutes.  I think all days of the program include a 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down.  I did 1.75 miles on the track today at this pace.  I really dislike that it is so dark when I get home.  I need to organize a group of people doing this at the same time so I'm less terrified of being snatched up by Sasquatch on my jogs.

Okay, enough with my paranoia, I mentioned a recipe coming soon so here we go:

 
Wild Mushroom and Barley Risotto
 
6 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups water
2T evoo
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups mixed wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups pearl barley, rinsed
1/2 cup red wine
6 cups turnip greens
1/3 cup Colby jack
1T butter
2t balsamic vinegar
salt & pep to taste
 
1. Bring broth and water to a simmer in a large saucepan.  Adjust heat to maintain a steady simmer.
 
2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add garlic, cook about 1 minute.  Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, 2 to 3 minutes.  Add barley and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.  Add wine and simmer, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute more.  Reduce heat to medium.
 
3. Add 1/2 cup hot broth to the barley and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.  Continue adding 1/2 cup hot broth at a time stirring until the liquid has been absorbed after each addition, adjusting heat to maintain a gentle simmer, until barley is tender and creamy but still somewhat firm, 35 to 45 minutes. (You might not use all the broth).
 
4. Stir in greens and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes.  Remove from heat, stir in cheese, butter, and vinegar.  Season with salt and pep.
 
I adapted this recipe from here.  It is a hands-on recipe, but cooking is therapeutic for me.  Original called for arugula, but the turnip greens at the grocery were way prettier.  Also called for an onion in with the garlic, but sil was over and she doesn't like onion.  I know, who doesn't like onion?!?  But I guess there are some out there...  Another change I made was the cheese, I didn't have parm, so I used Colby jack.  I think it turned out great.  VERY filling, I ate it as a meal.  Everyone else had it as a side to the steaks hubs grilled.  I made enough that I will be able to take leftovers for lunch at work for a couple days.  Try it, let me know what you think.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: