Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor


If you are looking for a new fantasy series to read, this is where you start.  I really had no idea what I was missing when I skipped the whole YA genre!  In the first of this trilogy, Karou is a blue-haired, tattooed teenager who's life is a mystery to her friends and her past is a mystery to herself.  She sketches detailed pictures of chimaera, mythical beasts who are a miss-match of different animal attributes.  Her depictions of this fantasy world are legendary among her fellow art students, but is it really a fantasy world?  When an angel appears, Karou's world is turned upside down and she and her friends will learn a lot more about Karou's past and the world she lives in.

This book gripped me from the beginning.  There were a few places that is felt like it was dragging on a bit and it's not hard to figure out the twists before they are revealed, but all in all I really enjoyed this book.  I checked the audio out on the library's Overdrive site.  When the second book wasn't available in audio, I downloaded the ebook instead because I couldn't wait to get started.  I may actually FINISH this trilogy!  Okay, we know I don't finish anything so let's not hold our breaths, but I am liking the second book just as much as the first.  Maybe my New Year's resolution should be to finish a series.

Do you stick with your New Year's resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: