Thursday, December 26, 2013

Merry Christmas and New Years Resolutions

So it's December 26th and I've already taken the tree down and put away all the Christmas decorations.  I don't put that stuff up until December 1st and it comes right back down on Christmas day evening.  I'm relieved to have another Christmas behind us.  This year I have been thinking more about the true meaning of Christmas, though.  Ya know, the Mass of Christ.  Baby Jesus born, celebrating our Savior's entrance into this world.  We all get so busy trying to make sure we see this family and get gifts for these friends that we forget.  It's easy to do, I'm not criticizing, I'm as bad as anyone.  A couple things happened this holiday season that have kind of shocked me into making a resolution that doesn't have anything to do with weight or money.  Starting today and continuing throughout 2014 I want to get closer to Jesus.  I want to walk more in line with Him.  I want to figure out what God has planned for me.  I plan to spend more time in His Word and I want to commit to listening to the Christian radio stations.  I want to read some of the devotionals and Christian books I have stacked next to the bead.  I want to focus on God and stop letting life distract me.  I want to be an example for my family, my husband and daughter, but also to everyone around me.  Do you know that it wasn't early followers of Christ who coined the word 'Christian'.  It was in Antioch that people noticed the apostles and followers were different because they followed the Christ and called them Christians. (Acts 11)  I want people to look at me and know that I am a Christian because I follow the teachings of the Christ.  I don't want to say that I'm a Christian then lead a life that says otherwise anymore.

The things that got me thinking most about this are this: 1) The church I frequent more than any other didn't have a Wednesday evening service.  Wednesday.  December 25.  No service on Christmas Day?  The church took the day off on the day we celebrate Jesus' birth so we could spend time with our families.  Now please know that I probably wouldn't have been in attendance if they had had service, but this isn't very different than most weeks and this is something I will be working on.  I'm not upset because I had so looked forward to the service, it just shocked me that there wouldn't be a service for me to skip.

Thing number 2)  A friend of mine goes to a non-denom mega church in a nearby city.  Actually several of my Facebook friends attend this church so I've seen lots of stuff about their big Christmas celebration.  This friend sent me a link to the video of the service.  I'm about halfway through now and I'm not sure if I want to finish.  Don't get me wrong.  This is very entertaining.  There is no doubt that the staff is full of extremely talented folks.  The thing that bothers me about it is this:  I'm not sure what laser shows about Santa have to do with the celebration of the birth of our Savior.  I understand the church evolving to keep the interest of the congregation.  It's a very good thing to get lots of people from all walks of life together to praise our God.  There is power in numbers, even the bible tells us that. 'For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them' -Jesus (Matthew 18:20)

So my question is this:  When do we cross the line of evolving to reach the people and focusing more on what people want than what the Bible says?

Disclaimer:  I hope I don't come off as judgey.  I can't cast any stones.  I'm just a girl who wants to know what Jesus thinks of us.  Then again, maybe I don't want to know what he thinks of me right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: